eWEEK is building a new IT products and services section that encompasses most of the categories that we cover on our site. In it, we will spotlight the leaders in each sector, which include enterprise software, hardware, security, on-premises-based systems and cloud services. We also will add promising new companies as they come into the market.
Today: Virtustream (enterprise cloud services)
Company description: Founded in 2008, Virtustream is an enterprise-class cloud infrastructure and mission critical application services provider.
Virtustream Enterprise Cloud is built to run complex, mission-critical enterprise applications such as SAP, with a full suite of professional and managed services. It offers high availability and performance backed by industry leading SLAs, integrated rigorous security and compliance solutions, all while achieving superior economics to deliver reduced application total cost of ownership (TCO).
The company was acquired by EMC in 2015 for $1.2 billion and currently serves as the enterprise-class cloud provider in the Dell Technologies family of businesses.
Virtustream is headquartered in New York, N.Y. and has locations across the world. Former AMD CEO Rory Read is the chief executive of Virtustream, and Deepak Patil, the former head of Oracle’s cloud unit, is the SVP of Product and Technology.
Dell EMC Virtustream ranks as one of eWEEK's "Top Companies in Enterprise Cloud Services." Go here to read that article.
Markets: Enterprise-class cloud infrastructure
- London, UK
- Kaunas, Lithuania
- Cork, Ireland
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Pune, India
- Bangalore, India
- Changi City, Singapore
- Sydney, Australia
- Tokyo, Japan
Other key players in this market:
- Amazon Web Services
- Microsoft Azure
- Google Cloud Platform
- IBM Cloud
- Oracle Cloud
Product and Services
- Virtustream Enterprise Cloud is an integrated enterprise class IaaS offering integrated managed services from the IaaS up to application layer that enable IT organizations to deliver mission-critical enterprise application services to their customers.
- Virtustream Storage Cloud is a hyper-scale storage platform built for resiliency, performance and transformation.
- Virtustream Federal Cloud handles mission-critical applications for the most complex, highly secure public-sector IT landscapes in the world.
- Virtustream Healthcare Cloud supports mission-critical healthcare applications with infrastructure availability SLAs up to 99.999%.
- SAP and HANA Cloud Migration Services comprehensive migration and application management services for a broad range of SAP applications; to date the company has migrated more than 1,000 SAP instances – including Domino Sugar, the largest cloud-based production deployment of SAP in the world.
- Viewtrust is a risk management and continuous compliance monitoring Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solution that provides organizations with a near real-time view of their entire compliance posture, showing when critical configuration standard guideline parameters have fallen outside predefined threshold values.
- Virtustream Enterprise Cloud is designed to run mission-critical enterprise applications by delivering scalability and automation, high performance and availability backed by industry leading SLAs and SLOs, enterprise-class security and compliance solutions, managed services from IaaS up to application and cost efficiency of µVM.
- Virtustream’s SAP and HANA Cloud Migration Services span the complete SAP portfolio, with support and application managed services in Suite on HANA (SoH) and Business Warehouse (BW), and including SAP Virtual Appliances with SAP Cloud end-user services and applications provided by the HANA Cloud Platform.
- Virtustream Federal Cloud provides services and software that are architected to the highest security and compliance standards, accredited with Joint Authorization Board (JAB) Provisional Authority to Operate (P-ATO) at FedRAMP Moderate and can increase the performance and reliability of mission-critical applications.
- Virtustream Healthcare Cloud is purpose-built for the applications that matter most – including the most capable and modern electronic health record (EHR) solutions, delivering high availability, consistent performance, and integrated compliance services. It also provides optional 24x7, comprehensive managed services so that providers can offload the time-consuming tasks of managing day-to-day IT operations and focus on innovations to improve patient care.
- MicroVM (µVM) technology provides a powerful "cloud kilowatt" concept, measuring, optimizing and analyzing workloads in the cloud, enabling customer apps to run with better performance at lower costs.
- Viewtrust enables organizations to remediate systems in a proactive, efficient, repeatable, and consistent manner across the entire business, regardless of location. Through a simplified Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) consumption model, it provides a structured, workflow-based automated methodology to quickly and efficiently prepare comprehensive audit packages that comply with all business and government requirements.
- Virtustream Storage Cloud provides simplicity in consumption and management, hyper-scale capacity for very large data stores, efficiency in data transport and storage to lower costs, security and seamless, single-source billing and support.
Insight and Analysis
eWEEK's Charles King wrote a product analysis of Virtustream Enterprise Cloud here.
Lead review (on Oct. 17) comment:
Overall Comment on enterprise cloud services: “VirtuStream jumped in and partnered with our organization during all phases of the implementation. Their technical resources were very knowledgable, and their project managers were experienced in their core product. They were very responsive through the entire process. Unfortunately, the customizations that we required for provisioning delayed our startup significantly.”
Overall Comment on Virtustream storage: “Virtustream provides an ideal public cloud solution for long-term storage archive. Virtustream Storage Cloud (VSC) provides subscription-based plan which is unique compared to straight consumption model offered by Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure. Virtustream provides different tiers starting at 1TB and customers realize cost savings as they consume more public cloud compared to the straight consumption pricing model.”
What do you like best? “Accelerates digital transformation by offering cloud solutions built specifically for our needs.”
What do you dislike? “N/a ...it works with most of our software (Microsoft, Oracle, etc).”
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized? “It has improved performance of programs.”
List of current customers:
- Benjamin Moore Paints
- Domino Sugar
- Florida Crystals Corporation
- General Electric
- U.S. Department of the Interior
Delivery: Virtustream Cloud services are IaaS and PaaS public cloud offerings with a range of public and private cloud features. Viewtrust is offered in a SaaS model.
- Virtustream’s cloud infrastructure features a utility-based billing model, using the µVM. The µVM is Virtustream’s patented, innovative cloud resource management technology. Like the kilowatt consumption metric used to calculate your home utility bill, the Virtustream µVM measures actual consumption of compute, memory, network and storage resources. By paying for actual resource usage as opposed to allocated instance-hours, Virtustream customers can immediately see the impact on their bottom lines.
- Contact Virtustream for detailed pricing information on products and services that meet your company’s needs: https://www.virtustream.com/contact-us
Contact information for potential customers: